Friday, December 18, 2009

A Heritage of the Lord

So we're sitting around the house last night about to build a fire and Paul has a large flat piece of wood that he's chopping up for kindling. Jaecob grabs it and a pencil and is engrossed for at least an hour. Finally he turns the board around to unveil his masterpiece. Being a mom AND knowing that I'm biased... the critic in me is floored! I couldn't believe that he drew with such attention to detail and perspective. WOW! I was amazed, then, at WHAT he drew; it was a battle scene complete with a castle in the background and an armored man in the forefront battling a fire-breathing dragon. The man had a sword and shield and on his breastplate was the letter "J." I assumed it was for "Jaecob."

It most certainly was not.

It was for Jesus. Across the top of the picture was written, "The Armour of the Lord."

As a mother, my heart swells with pride, amazement and humbleness as a child of 9 is able to bring me back to the blessings that are in my life right now! Nine years ago I gave birth to a child who is a vessel for the Lord. Just like that song "the child you delivered one soon deliver you," although Jaecob is not my deliverer, the Lord uses the small, the weak, to do mighty things!

As we prepare for Christmas, the celebration of the birth of Christ, this year has been filled with some heartaches and tough times, but it doesn't matter.

What matters is what I am doing for the Kingdom and how I am raising the gift, the HERITAGE that I have been entrusted with on this earth. I'm not perfect (will never claim that title) but my prayer is that I will one day hear the words "well done, child."