Monday, June 20, 2011

Adult-Onset Type 1 Diabetes

So about three months ago, my brother -at the age of 31- was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I had Gestational Diabetes (or so I thought) at the age of 22. Afterwords, my Blood Sugar levels returned to normal. Fast forward several years, since I've always been a big-girl when my blood sugars were high again it was automatically assumed I was Type 2. My son will be 11 years old in November so for 11 years and several doctors later I find out that I, too, am a Type 1--Insulin Dependent diabetic. Four shots a day (at least), checking blood sugar levels six times a day.

Joy.

Good thing is, I've lost weight...and it was not the indicator that something was wrong. It is because I've made a concentrated effort to lose weight. So far, 7lbs...but more than the weight, I've lost size!!! I just bought a pair of size 14 pants and though I wouldn't yet wear them in public, I WAS able to button and zip them!!! Three years ago I was in a size 22!!! Two months ago I was in a size 18. I'm in a size 16 now and headed towards a 14. I'd like to be a size 12, solidly-- shall I say confidently.

Confident. I can't wait!

No comments: